The #BigYearAtHome campaign is an interactive, fun, engaging, friendly, and collaborative challenge that aims to welcome different kinds of communities to participate in birdwatching and bird conservation activities. We have lost about 3 billion birds since 1970, and we can help bring them back. Our goal is to share monthly challenges, information, and activities that will help you connect with birds and take action to help them recover. Communities in large cities and towns, communities with wide-open spaces around homes and other buildings, and everyone in-between is welcome to participate
Each month, we’ll post “Monthly Challenges,” a variety of activities that you can participate in from the place where you live, or nearby. We’ll also share information about activities and places that might be a little (or a lot!) farther away from the place where you live. You can expect to see birdwatching challenges, eBird checklist challenges, challenges to participate with family and friends, challenges to attend virtual presentations, and more. Throughout the campaign we’re asking you to put safety first. You can help birds from almost anywhere, so we’d like you to participate in your #BigYearAtHome from places where you are safe and feel comfortable.
To get started, check out the video and Activity Feed on this page. To stay connected, we welcome you to sign up for email updates, follow Partners in Flight on Facebook / Twitter, or contact us through the form on this page.
Welcome to your #BigYearAtHome!
#BigYearAtHome Activity Feed
- September #BigYearAtHome challenge — #BirdSafeWindowsOur September #BigYearAtHome challenge involves making our homes and places of business more bird friendly by helping birds to avoid colliding with our windows (#BirdSafeWindows). With fall upon us, birds are starting to flock and migrate, and now is the time to ensure our windows are safe for the birds that are passing through.
- Birding While Biking: A First-Foot Account of a Green Big YearIn celebration of the August #BigYearAtHome challenge, #BirdingFromHome, we feature a fun article by Mike Green about his 2021 Green Big Year.
- #BigYearAtHome August Challenge – Birding From Home (#BirdingFromHome)Our August #BigYearAtHome challenge is to bird watch from home (#BirdingFromHome). This challenge is inspired by the relatively new green birding movement. You can participate by simply stepping outside to see what you can see (or hear) from your home. Or, if you want, take the next step into the #GreenBirding movement and go bird from home by walking or biking.
- #BigYearAtHome July Challenges — Explore and ShareIn July we challenge our #BigYearAtHome community to 1) Explore a National Wildlife Refuge and 2) Take a Kid Birding.
- How can we complete the June Challenge to make windows safer for birds at home?Ready to learn more about our June Challenge to help birds with the Seven Simple Actions? Action #1 is “Turn out lights and treat windows to keep birds safe.” Joelle Gehring of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has some great suggestions for how you can treat your windows at home. Click through to find low-cost, attractive options for treating windows, and to learn how the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is taking Action #1 of the Seven Simple Actions.