Tanya Luszcz, Environment and Climate Change Canada
In 2020, Partners in Flight celebrates its 30th Anniversary
and is dedicating its “conservation news” to sharing stories of migratory connectivity and connections to celebrate 30 years of partnerships for bird conservation. We hope you enjoy.
In less than a single lifetime, North America has lost more than one in four of its birds.
While these numbers can seem overwhelming, there are many things we can do to make a difference, such as the 7 Simple Actions to Help Birds.
1. Make windows safer, day and night.
2. Keep cats indoors.
3. Reduce lawn, plant natives.
4. Avoid pesticides.
5. Drink coffee that’s good for birds.
6. Protect our planet from plastic.
7. Watch birds, share what you see.
Partners in Flight Western Working Group (PIF WWG) recently thought about what we can do to help, and we hatched the PIF WWG 7 Simple Actions Challenge!
1. …yourself as an individual to adopt as many of the 7 actions as possible in your life at home.
2. …your organization to adopt as many of the 7 actions as possible in your workplace.
3. …another organization to adopt as many of the 7 actions as possible.
There will be prizes for
1. …the first person to adopt 5 of the actions.
2. …the first person to adopt all 7 of the actions.
3. …the first person to convince their workplace to adopt the 7 actions.
4. …the first person to successfully convince another organization to rise to the challenge.
Recently added incentive to the workplace challenge category: Feathered Friendly Technologies Inc. has committed to donating one partial roll of commercial 3′ x 50′ (value of $500 CAD) to help a workplace treat a problem area.
How can you win? Document your actions with photos and text, then add a comment to PIF WWG’s Facebook post. For those who don’t use Facebook, you can submit your photos and text via email to email@example.com with the subject heading “PIF WWG Challenge.”
For more information in English, en français, o en español, download the PDFs below. And please pass it on!